Mr. Ekelund is the founding Shareholder of Ekelund, P.C.Â He has significant experience representing clients with a broad range of real estate, business, litigation and regulatory matters.Â He has represented publicly traded companies, national insurers and lenders, private equity firms, large and small privately-held businesses, as well as individuals on specific business and personal matters.
His current practice is primarily focused on representing lenders, buyers and sellers in commercial and residential real estate transactions.Â He is a title agent in with Old Republic National Title Insurance Company and Fidelity National Title Insurance Company.
In addition to his real estate practice, Mr. Ekelund also represents large and small businesses on general business matters.
Mr. Ekelund was recognized by a popular blog as one of Massachusetts Top 25 Startup Lawyers.Â He often instructed at and moderated two popular seminar series he created entitled, â€œStartups and Sushi,â€ and â€œEntrepreneurs and Eggs.â€
Earlier in his career, Mr. Ekelund was a litigator and trial attorney, representing some of Northern New Englandâ€™s larger private employers, including Â hospitals, lending and mortgage brokerage institutions, a private educational institutionÂ and a prominent law firm.Â With his significant litigation background, he currently handles Â selected business disputes for his business and individual clients.
-Â Â Â Â Â Â Represents large and regional lenders on commercial loan transactions.
-Â Â Â Â Â Â Handles high-end residential purchase and refinance transactions;
-Â Â Â Â Â Â Drafted and reviewed commercial and residential leases;
-Â Â Â Â Â Â Reviewed and advised clients on condominium bylaws and Association Trust documents
-Â Â Â Â Â Â Serves as title agent for Old Republic National Title Insurance Company and Fidelity National Title Insurance Company
– Â Â Â General Counsel to web-based, media, consumer product, real estate investment and other concerns.
– Â Â Â Served as outside General Counsel to a regional mortgage lender; assisted client with entity formation, private placements, licensing, litigation matters and regulatory matters.
– Â Â Â Drafted operating agreements, buy/sell agreements, stock purchase agreements, bylaws and other corporate documents.
– Â Â Â Negotiated leases, employment agreements, non-competition agreements, non-disclosure agreements, confidentiality agreements, marketing agreements, service contracts, royalty contracts, liability releases, engagement letters and sales agreements.
– Â Â Â Advised businesses on compliance matters including: OFAC, Patriot Act, Bank Secrecy Act and other anti-money laundering regulations.
– Â Â Â Reviewed and advised businesses on insurance coverage matters including general liability, management professional liability, errors and omissions, intellectual property, and other insurance coverage matters.
– Â Â Â Represented clients in a wide variety of litigation matters including: 93A unfair trade practices claims, shareholder disputes, breach of fiduciary duty/escrow matters, commercial/contract litigation, securities matters, real estate disputes, construction disputes, bankruptcy matters, landlord-tenant disputes, foreclosures, will contests, joint tenancy disputes, medical malpractice defense, premises liability defense, personal injury/insurance defense, products liability, as well as trademark/unfair competition, antitrust class actions, multi-district litigation and insurance coverage disputes.
– Â Â Â Served as trial counsel in both jury and bench trials in state and federal courts.
– Â Â Â Obtained successful verdict at trial on behalf of employer against employerâ€™s former employee for conversion, lost profits.
– Â Â Â Obtained defense verdict with co-counsel for law firm in a breach of fiduciary duty/escrow matter.
– Â Â Â Obtained defense verdict with co-counsel for a campground in a premises liability matter with potential verdict exposure in excess of $1 million.
– Â Â Â Written and argued many dispositive and non-dispositive motions, in state and federal courts; prosecuted appeal before the Maine Supreme Judicial Court on issue of first impression in area of medical malpractice that settled on favorable terms for client.
– Â Â Â Successfully collected and enforced judgments on several litigation matters in several states, also representing creditors in bankruptcy proceedings.
– Â Â Â Represented clients in arbitration and administrative matters including FINRA arbitrations, labor/AAA arbitrations, employment administrative hearings, zoning and other administrative matters.
– Â Â Â Handled and successfully avoided administrative action being taken against a mortgage lender by the State of Maine Office of Consumer Credit Regulation and the Maine Attorney Generalâ€™s Office.
Before attending law school, Mr. Ekelund played minor league baseball as a shortstop for the Bangor Blue Ox in Bangor, Maine.Â While in law school, Mr. Ekelund was an editor for theÂ Maine Law Review.
Immediately following law school, Mr. Ekelund served as a law clerk to the Honorable Thomas E. Delahanty, II, Thomas D. Warren, and Ellen A. Gorman of the Maine Superior Court.
Following his judicial clerkship, he joined the regional New England law firm of Preti, Flaherty, Beliveau & Pachios, LLP, practicing primarily in the firmâ€™s Portland, Maine and Boston offices.Â Thereafter, he served as in-house General Counsel of a federal savings bank.Â Most recently, Mr. Ekelund was affiliated with a medium-sized Boston law firm before forming Ekelund, P.C.
Mr. Ekelund currently is President and Member of a real estate holding investment company.